Sunday, August 11, 2013

Transformation of Self and Space



Standing the middle of my new classroom, my mom and I began to contemplate our next moves. We were already exhausted from rolling in cart after cart of my school possessions. These possessions include roughly three hundred books that my mom and I had picked up at flea markets, yard sales, and thrift stores. Tons of stuffed animals that correspond to specific book characters lay scattered around the room. I had boxes of paperwork to sort through as well. Some of the paperwork included lessons from my student teaching experiences, worksheets from other teachers, and a random box of assorted construction paper that I have carried around with me since my own childhood. 

My mom and I were going to transform my empty classroom into a jungle-themed learning environment. Little by little, I unpacked my belongings. Some things were moved into plastic containers that would later be labeled for organizational purposes. Other things were filed away on shelves in a storage closet in my room. Since I'm not incredibly gifted with tools, my mom put together many of the shelves that line the walls of my classroom.

At the end of a four day period, the majority of my room was unboxed. It was time to leave the room. I needed to refuel and think through my classroom layout. I needed to sort through all of the ideas I had compiled from Pinterest. I needed to simply breathe because it was overwhelming staring at all of my things. I would revisit my room in approximately a week to finish the transformation process. Throughout those few days in my room, I learned a valuable lesson. No matter how organized or how beautiful my classroom may look after the transformation process; the successfulness of the class depended on my own teaching skills that I had learned through my Master's program and my student teaching experiences. I was the one who would impact my students' lives. They would love the jungle themed room, but I was the one that they would ultimately remember many years down the road.

Guess I better start lesson planning too! :)

Final room pictures will be posted soon as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment